Saturday, 26 November 2011

Reflected Light: A Self-Portrait

Here's a beginning of a new project! Upon researching other photographers, I came to find, to my delight, that I'm not the only one that enjoys taking self-portraits. Apparently it's like a thing. Some embark on 365 day Self-Portrait Projects! Imagine that? Imagine how much you would have to stretch yourself and your creativity to come up with an idea to take a self-portrait every single day. Yikes! I don't think imma try that just yet but here beginneth my own little Self-Portrait Project.

Why?

Because I need to challenge myself and keep clicking even when I don't feel there's anything going on in particular or that I have any challenging subjects. A while ago I read some interesting insights into the value of creating self-portraits.

Here's one:


"One thing to consider, whenever you feel like you have "nothing" to shoot or create; you always have yourself as a subject. That is the beauty of a self portrait. And when we take a self portrait, we are forced to look at ourselves with new eyes... with honest eyes. I believe it is in these beautiful moments of looking within that we discover truths about who we are, our desires, our fears, our hurts, our passions & our deepest longings."


- Sarah Rhoades

And another one:

"I think there's value to be had in photographers turning the camera on themselves. I believe every photographer who takes your picture captures something unique about you that is unique to them and their ability to document people. For some it's a particular way they smile... for others, maybe a look in the eye they make often but never seen memorialized in a frame. Certain people coax those traits out of us better than others."

- Gail Werner (Check out Gail's Self-Portrait project on her blog!)

Reason enough? Well, besides the interesting insights, I simply enjoy taking self-portraits and now I have an excuse to showcase what I come up with and so I'm gonna grab hold of it and run! :P

Initially I thought I'd do only reflections because I love love love reflections but I think trying to find makeshift tripods, setting up a shot, positioning myself in time for the shutter might be a tad more interesting and challenging so here we go and stay tuned for more!

#1 Reflected Light. This is something that I want to master.
Finding ambient light and using it. There's just nothing like it!

p.s. another cool link: The Self-Portrait Project

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!
    Now take another one in similar light. Turn your body 90 degrees left, so that your right shoulder is nearest the camera. Then swing your head around to look at the lens. Left eye should be slightly lower than right eye.
    Plant camera on tripod; use self-timer or an accomplice.
    Fire away [a la "compelle intrare"] and let's see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Will do! Next time! Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete

Yay, a comment!