Sunday, 27 November 2011

H&R Adventures in Pune: Day 1

Here I am, in the city of Pune, which I have discovered is much bigger in reality than it is in my head. But I have to say for a girl with the worst navigational skills in the world, I'm doing pretty good for being a newbie to this city!
I arrived in Pune around 11am this morning on a hopping flight from Bangalore, made my way to City Church to meet Leah who had the keys of the place where I will be staying for the next couple of days (shout out to Miss M for her generosity!) and then hopped in another auto that brought me to the apartment. Like I said, I have no sense of direction (a trait I have apparently acquired from my dad :P) so as Leah gave me instructions, I made little notes on my phone and basically prayed my way here!
After a quick shower, I headed out to the FF office where I met with Ben and we chatted about all the things that have happened in the last week since we departed from Ooty. (You can read more about Ben's adventures on the H&R website) After a while, we headed out on a mission to find Coffee Jar - a super cute little cafe here in Pune. We made a plan of action for the next couple of days over our cups of coffee and then headed back to the office to pick up cameras and look up a good restaurant on the internet where we could go for dinner.
And then commenced our crazy (CRAZY) excursion of Pune. We went pretty much to the other end of town in search of a restaurant that was recommended by Burrp.com and Lonely Planet and then when we got there, we discovered that it was everything that we didn't want - fancy and expensive. We looked at the menu, decided against it and started walking out when the attendant who must have thought I was a clueless NRI or something mumbled something about us in hindi, so I turned around and spoke right back at him in hindi, let him know that I understood every word he just said and that he was wrong to judge us and we left. That felt good. I can't believe he did that!!!!
Anyway, we walked around for a bit and figured out that we were in the wrong part of town for a simple reasonable dinner and so we hopped on a random bus and let it take us wherever it was going and eventually found a nice clean place where we feasted on Pav Bhaji and Lime Soda :)
Of course all this hopping around meant that we were even further away from where we had to come back and thus ensued another mad bus-adventure. We walked and we walked, changed buses four times and then walked some more to where Ben is staying and then I hopped into another auto to get to my place. It was crazy but fun. We had both Ben's cameras with us and so we experimented with shots along the way, got a lot of stares and well, generally had a gala time!
We'll be in Pune probably for the next 2/3 days and then we're off to Mumbai and I am SO excited about that!
Okay, my head feels like it's gonna explode, so I need to get some sleep!
Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay, a comment!