Term hasn't even started yet and I feel like, "whoaaaa, so much to take in!" It's funny though, because during the orientation sessions, I often get turned to and asked questions about things from my time as a student and so all of this is supposed to be a breeze for me? But it's actually still a lot to take in. I don't know if any of you other Hebronites, who came back as IGs felt this way, but it takes a little getting used to, being on "the other side" as it were. It's also strange how empty school is at the moment. The students don't come back till next week so it's just the few stray staff members on campus at the moment.
The session today was at Selborne so I actually got some extra time this morning and started unpacking all my stuff. I've been travelling for the past two weeks before I got here so lots of dirty laundry and I just washed a bunch of my "unmentionables" (haha, never thought I'd use that word on my blog!) The first session this morning was on the Child Protection Policy at Hebron which is actually stuff that we had to go through at our Prefects' Retreat a couple of years ago. And then after morning tea, we did a session about Third Culture Kids (TCKs) which is what pretty much every student at Hebron is and if you're wondering what a TCK is, this is the textbook definition by a Sociologist by the name, David Pollock:
"[A] person who has spent a significant part of his or her developmental years outside the parents' culture. The TCK builds relationships to all of the cultures, while not having full ownership in any. Although elements from each culture are assimilated into the TCK's life experience, the sense of belonging is in relationship to others of the same background"
That was really interesting because I've been thinking a lot about my own TCK-ness in the past couple of weeks with all the travelling, my parents moving back to Africa, my moving back to Hebron and thinking about where possibly my next move will be to.
After a scrumptious Selborne lunch, we all headed out to visit Smyrna Home which is another organisation that Hebron is closely involved with. They have all sorts of things going on there but basically the idea is to take in underprivileged people from around the Nilgiris and help them out in whatever way they need. I remember learning some sign language there in when I was in Std. 9 and they had a little school for the deaf on their grounds, but that isn't there anymore. There was also this amazing little place rented out on the Smyrna grounds by an organisation called Freedom Firm which rescues girls who are enslaved in commercial sex exploitation and they have an aftercare centre here in Ooty where they make jewellery to sell (and its absolutely beautiful!). Do check out their website (http://freedom.firm.in/), it's amazing what they're doing!
Tonight, we have a ladies night and I think it involves putting on sarees or learning to drape them or something! Fun fun!
More later,
This is fantastic, I really hope you continue to update this! I am definitely an avid reader :P
ReplyDeleteSo odd to think that we're so old and you're on the other side now! Also I wanted to check, what email address will you be using? Can you check gmail or are they giving you a Heb address?
Let me know! bisous love you
Tina Nandi! When you wear sarees/think of me!
ReplyDeletePs: "Us", really, but it wouldn't have rhymed :P