Sunday, 15 August 2010

63 years!

Independence Day celebrations at Hebron have always been one of my favourite events just because I love watching the Indian flag being raised and it's one of the only times we get to sing the national anthem! When I came here in Std. 9, I didn't even know the words to the anthem but now I can do it and that makes me happy! So this morning, I sacrificed my opportunity to sleep in and dressed up as quietly as I could so as to not wake my roomie and went over to school with a couple of the other staff members for the flag-hoisting ceremony and then to church (where we sang the national anthem again :))...
 
Last night was hilarious. The IGs sort of decided to have a night "out on the town" so we went out for some dinner and then a movie at Ooty's one and only theatre - Assembly Rooms. It's an ancient place from way back in the colonial days and they have a bad habit of cutting movies short for some strange reasons and the annoying part is that they cut it at the most random places so you're thinking, "wait! what just happened?!?" So yeah, they were playing "Knight and Day" and if you've seen the movie, you'll know that there's really not much to it but because of this wonderful theatre and the random cutting and terrible sound system, I was pretty lost so don't ask me how the movie was. I have no idea. I guess it was okay?
 
Oh Ooty and its quirks! I just love it. Yesterday, I was walking down the Lushington drive alone on my way to meet the others for dinner at Nahars where they have the best Idlis in the world, btw. I just discovered this... I always used to order cheese dosas there but yesterday I "branched out" a little bit and went for a Rava dosa and then a plate of Idlis and it was amazing! Ha, wow that was a long aside... Can you tell that food distracts me? Anywayyyyy, so yeah I was walking down the drive and I had to sort of stop myself from skipping because it just sort of struck me, "oh my gosh, I'm living in Ooty!!!!" It's such an awesome place to be. I love the cold weather, I love being able to walk everywhere without walking into people (Bombay anyone?), I love breathing in the clear(er) air, I love the hills, I love the gardens, etc, etc. Ooty totally rocks.
 
That's all for now!
 
p.s. above picture is the view from our back-door!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Independence Day! How can I forget, oh the days seem to just go by. I got to do that see the Indian national flag being raised twice when I was with YWAM. Good memories. I need to catch up here, sorry what does IG stand for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ping! IG stands for International Guest which is basically a voluntary position at Hebron School where I was a student for five years... Read this post to catch up! http://stilllookingforadream.blogspot.com/2010/08/full-circle.html

    ReplyDelete

Yay, a comment!