Oh man, every morning I wake up thinking, "I should really go to sleep earlier" and it just doesn't happen. Not that I'm sleeping really late but I just feel tired. It's like when you stop working for a while and then you suddenly feel lethargic...
Anyway, today was excellent :) The first drama rehearsal went pretty good and since I had the first rehearsal and have told the class the play that they're going to be doing and it's been finalised, I can now tell you! We're doing "Annie"! I hope most of you have watched the movie. It's this fantastic and happy little story about an adorable little redheaded orphan who lives in an orphanage run by a mean and drunken matron. It's really great. The thing is though that it seems to be impossible to find the script for this play! We found the music (yup, there's gonna be singing too!) in the music dept. at school but I searched and searched for the script and couldn't find anything so I took on the task of actually writing it out from the movie which is why I am probably the only one up at Selborne right now. It's quite a task, but the good thing is that by the end of it, I'll know the play like the back of my hand and I actually enjoy doing this sort of stuff!
I have never in my life directed a play and if you know me, you'd probably not think that I was the directing or even leading kind. I generally just work as hard as I can in the background so this is really a mammoth task for me, something not necessarily in my comfort-zone but you know, one of the things that I've been praying and hoping would come from my time here is that God would break this shell that I like hiding in sometimes so I have no place to hide away anymore so this is good. I am so grateful for this opportunity! And I just love having something to be busy with!
After the rehearsal, all the directors and the drama co-ordinator met for a little meeting and we discussed various things like rehearsal timings, props, costumes, etc and it was kind of crazy because you don't realise but there's so much more that goes into producing a play than just casting, directing and rehearsing!
The hardest part right now though, is the casting. In today's session, we just got the kids into little groups and gave them little scenarios to act out so we could see what they're capable of and who stands out. But it's so difficult (and probably also inaccurate) to make a decision based on just one test-run, especially because it's just the second day of school and some of the kids are new and still settling in with the daily stuff of being in a boarding school! So yeah, I've been running around talking to their former teachers, dorm parents, etc to get their opinions. Thankfully, I have that option! And also, the kids are so great! Except for this whole boy-girl segregation thing they have going on... It's ridiculous! But then again, I do remember being like that at that age too so I guess it's to be expected?
Anyway, I am really excited about this! :)
More later,
OMG I LOVE HEBRON DRAMA SO MUCH
ReplyDeleteand yeah, there's a tonne of work to do :P
Annie is so great! Also Tripthi tells me that (your) current year 9 girls were her dorm as prefect! Tell them she loves them :)
And I love you :)
I'm EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete