* This week at work was difficult in some ways. I found my introverted self waaaaay out of my comfort zone. And there were times when I questioned if I was good at anything at all. I know I am, but when the majority of your work-life doesn’t revolve around those things, it can be hard to remember!
And then I found this talk on Ted.com by Susan Cain that made me feel a whole lot better! You see I’ve been beating myself up about my fear of public speaking, making presentations, being soft-spoken etc for a long time, and then when I listened to this webcast, it was like, hey maybe it’s not so irrational after all? Yeah, some part of the fear is and I’m working on that but maybe the majority of the issue is just that it’s not in my nature. I would rather listen than talk. Sometimes I would rather be alone than be surrounded by people. I’d rather write than speak. And when I do speak, I do it softly.
I’m an introvert. It’s not a better or worse type. It’s just different. And it’s OK. And so I resolve to stop beating myself up for it.
And I am grateful for this woman for having the courage to stand up and say that! I need to get my hands on her book!
*Yesterday I had some fun times with my colleagues. We went over to H’s place and played many amateurish games of Table Tennis and two full-on Badminton matches. It was a good workout and what a blessing to get to know the people you work with outside of the work context, don’t you think?
*Today I finally got to see my beloved brother and his beloved wife. We live in the same city, barely 15 minutes away from each other and yet, thanks to our busy schedules and (other crappy factors about Bangalore in general), we barely get to see them very often so it was good to go out for lunch with the fam.
*Inspired by one of my favourite wedding photographers, I’ve decided to work on a 101 in 1001 list. I need some goals and things to look forward to and the good thing about this list is that it’s a list for a span of almost of 3 years and for a not-so-future-planner like me, this will be a good exercise. I struggle to visualize the future and create goals to work towards especially professionally but here’s a list of a mix of things that I actually want to accomplish and maybe that’ll somehow help me get closer to who and what I really want to be. Maybe you can help me out. What should I put on my list?
I just crossed off one thing on my list today:
#26. Eat something I’ve never tried before. At lunch I tried brain cutlets and the verdict is “no-thank-you-never-again”. It’s not so much the taste, but the texture that did not sit well with me! D and my dad very much enjoyed it though!
*I love Sundays. Like I said, my introverted self would just fall to pieces if I didn’t get these few moments of quiet peace and simply being at home once a week. I hope you’re having a restful Sunday too

Your first bullet point makes me think of a blog title I saw once...it was Free to be Me. :)
ReplyDelete:) Thanks Jill.
Delete10 for your list 1) Keep the promises you make to others - and yourself. 2) The project that most scares you is the project you need to do first. 3) Take 60 minutes every weekend to craft a blueprint for the coming seven days. 4) Leave every project you touch at work better than you found it. 5) Fears unfaced become your limits. 6) Smile at strangers. 7) Drink more water. 8) Do more than you are paid to do and do work that leaves your teammates breathless. 9) Write love letters to your family. 10) Say "please" and "thank you".
ReplyDeleteLove you.