Wednesday, 14 March 2012

#19 Learn to Drive (in Bangalore traffic!)

Not quite a 'check and mark' yet, but I'm getting there!

After a good few months of my parents (and my boss!) being at my back to get a move on on this, I finally got off my backside and enrolled for classes at a driving school conveniently close to my office.

I got my driver's license back when I was in school - a good 6 years ago but in India, having a license is not a big deal at all. Being able to drive is! A rare deal, in fact. I didn't bribe anyone to get my license, but it is common. I didn't do a whole lot to get it actually. I guess the guy who was testing me just liked me for some reason. I drove for about 10 meters - straight ahead, no turns, no slopes, no need to even change gears and I passed! And since then, I've had my license, driven only a handful of times, but never really ventured into the mad drama that is Indian roads.

Now that I'm in Bangalore and I plan on staying, I figured it's about time... I hate having to rely on this city's appalling (and pricey!) public transport system so I'm going to drive.

I was a little apprehensive but a lot excited about my first class today. I wondered if my driving instructor would be a senile old man like my first one was, or a short-tempered scary man like from the stories I've heard, but George was amazing. He was patient, he didn't yell when I stalled, and he was encouraging when I 'tsk-ed' at my own mistakes!

All in all, so far, I LOVE driving and I can't believe I have been stalling (no pun intended) on this for so long. I cannot wait to drive myself and others around! And it feels good, to be (almost) crossing things off my 101 in 1001 list (which still needs some work btw; suggestions welcome!)

1 comment:

Yay, a comment!