Thursday, 8 March 2012

Knowledge is power.



I work at a film production company which means that I get exposed to some really good films out there. I think on an average I watch one brilliant ad/short film every single day and I am blown away by the ideas and am daily convinced of the power of film. Not only can you see information, but you also hear it and that is a strong tool to convey a message.

Here's one video that contains an important message. I watched this and suddenly felt those old dreams of being out there, in the thick of the bad things that happen in this world, doing things to change it. But for now, I'll do my little bit from home. As I am learning more and more the power of social media in the context of my work, for my own photography and for causes like this, it's actually pretty amazing how our 'Facebook generation' can change things by doing what they apparently do best - social networking.

So watch this film, share this film.

I know there's a whole lot of criticism going around on the web about this campaign. Questions of why now? This guy's been around for 26 years and what's the big hype about all of a sudden? Maybe this is a simplistic argument, but who cares? Okay, I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't know a whole lot about Kony before I watched this film but that's the premise of the film, that he still is out there because people don't know who he is. So let's tell people. Let's make Kony famous. Yes, it would have been great if everyone woke up to it 26 years ago but right now, that's not the point. Right now, the point is let's make sure nobody in the world does NOT know about Kony and from there... well, knowledge is power.

1 comment:

Yay, a comment!