Tuesday, 29 June 2010

I am emerging from one and half days of no internet/very little TV or any other electricity related activities. We had some major work going on in the house and add to that the infamous Bangalore power-cuts... Fun fun. So I read instead. I've been going through another dry period in terms of reading for a while and it took these electricity woes to get me finally stuck into it. Isn't that sad? 


Anyway, so I'm reading Wuthering Heights and it's fantastic so far. I also started reading this other book called Child Man by Ashok Malhotra. It's a book that nobody in my family under normal circumstances would likely have picked up just because it's outside the general genre of books we read... But my parents were invited to the book launch a few weeks ago through a family friend. I unfortunately couldn't go because I was in Ooty that weekend but anyway... It's really interesting. It's kind of a psychological exploration through mythological figures. I'm not sure how into the psychological part I'm going to be but I am definitely into the first part of the book which is a little background narrative into some of the stories of the Mahabharata from the points of view of Balarama, Duryodhana and Bhima. I'm pretty familiar with these stories already but they never got old and they are so complex and intriguing! And also there's a nifty little index of the characters at the beginning so I had a good time finally paralleling them in my head with the characters of another good movie I watched a couple of weeks ago called Rajneeti. Have I mentioned that I'm rather impressed with Bollywood nowadays? I'm so glad they're finally exploring our own stories rather than leaning so much on Hollywood... Although, we still see a lot of that like in Kites. Ohmygoodness. But I have to admit, it was good fun to watch because I already knew what was going to happen and we were also watching the Germany vs. England match simultaneously :P


Okay, now I am going to switch OFF the computer and go back to my books! Toodles!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't follow a word of Wuthering Heights while I was reading it, but it just gets better with reflection :D i love Cathy and Heathcliff; they're like tempests. It's scary but to be able to emote on that level must be some kind of...nirvana.

    ReplyDelete

Yay, a comment!