Well, all in all I've had a fantabulous day. Sharan, Sonu and Vini are 5 exams down and they would have been 6 exams down in about 8 days except... well, I'll get to that later. Anyway, so we had a bit of a shindig at Jo's place and it was awesome and I will post pictures and tell you more about it tomorrow.
I came home pretty late, we got stuck up in traffic and I wasn't exactly welcomed home by a happy grandmother and to put icing on the cake, I read the newspaper. Always makes me angry. There's always something in the paper that makes me angry. What do I do with myself? Ugh.
So what made me angry was that I read a piece titled 8 days for test, students await CET admit cards. Why does this make me angry, well first of all. This is so typical, nothing ever seems to get done on time in this country. It's as if we're taken by surprise every single time even if we've been doing the same thing year after year. Secondly, this exam, scheduled for the 5th of May is the reason why Sonu, Vini and Sharan and the rest of the Lit students and Econ students won't be done in 8 days. They have to wait for about a month. Because this CET exam was scheduled for the 5th and so the Arts students have to suffer because the CET students obviously get priority. This is India.
We talked about this (and other issues with MU) today. I wrote about it a couple of days ago and have been thinking about how we need to do something because while talking about it is good and therapeutic, Mumbai University remains incompetent and unprofessional. (I'm using nice words. The words in my head to describe MU at this moment are not so nice.) But again, what do we do? A protest march? Letters? I hate to think that so many of us will quietly "persevere" this and move on. Why? WHY? Why should we do that? We can't just let this go. Being quiet about injustice is as wrong to me as inflicting injustice.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Okay people, I'm all charged up and angry right now because I just read the paper (HT, Page 4) and they've written about the "poor" CET students who are now running around for their admit cards. Boo hoo (no disrespect intended). As if we don't know about that. But did any newspaper bother to write about THAT!? Oh nooooo. We're nobodies. Apparently you can only be news-worthy in this country if you're an engineering student or Lalit Modi. Bah!!! Anyway, so I want to write this to the editor but I have a headache and I'm not really thinking straight so this is going to need editing. So help!!! And fast. Thanks :P
The edited letter (Sharan added bits and edited for me! :D)
To the editor,
With reference to 8 days for test, students await CET admit cards (29 April), I just wanted to draw some attention to us: the TYBA students of Mumbai University whose scheduled exams on the 5th and 6th of May were postponed to the 1st and 2nd of June to make room for the CET students. I can definitely relate to these students, we have many similar (and worse) stories to tell too and yet, I do not recall that any newspaper bothered to cover our woes in much detail. Why is that? Are we not just as much entitled to fair treatment as the engineering students? I don't want to sound unfair myself and make generalizations, but this is so typical of the Indian mentality, when it comes to the perception of Arts as a subject. It seems like the only students that are worth caring about are the engineering students. We, the Arts students are struggling down there - in the sub-basement, and no one seems to be taking any notice of us. The bottom of the pile of priority. Seems like even the University thinks of us that way since when push came to shove, the obvious decision seemed to be: "Forget the Arts students, make way for the Engineering students."
It's one thing to deal with the University's evident indifference to our state -- the stories to tell are too many, too shameful. Some people haven't received their hall-tickets. Others are forced to write their exams in stores and restaurants due to power outages. Some of us have been writing these exams -- and will be writing them -- for a couple of months, because the University couldn't juggle the dates responsibly. But it's another thing -- an unbearable, terrifying thing because of the deep levels of cynicism that it fosters -- to have the public unaware of it. We students plan to do something, but we cannot do it alone, and we need your help.
So I would be highly obliged to you, if you could look into this matter and throw some light on it -- if not for the sake of your non-student readers, then for our sakes.
Regards,
-------------------------------------------------------
I'm a million miles away and I don't totally understand what's going on over on your side. So it may be best to take what I say with a grain of salt!
ReplyDeleteIs it possible to briefly summarize the "similar (and worse) stories" in the letter? The mistreatment of the underdog is ALWAYS a story, this is sort of the meat and potatoes of your letter, right?
Also, have any other news media covered your situation? I think this is important because if you can honestly say that you've received absolutely no attention, that by itself may get you some.
I think you're right on the money with raising the issue to public debate, and it takes a brass pair. Education is of utmost importance to virtually everyone in India, everybody cares about it. Everybody has stories of incompetent school staff doing them injustice. It's bullshit for things like this to stay in the dark with no accountability. You're dealing with a vast, emotional, social issue. If you can get the media to support debate and ignite people by publishing relevant material, that may in time develop into the foundation of thinking needed for lasting change. Way to go by the way, what you're doing is damn impressive--and important!
Rats! What I meant to say was:
ReplyDelete"Way to be a Norah, what you're doing is damn impressive--and important!"
I personally believe that when you point a finger at people about their incompetencies their backs go up. So do not attack the newspaper for not covering your story - invite them to do so because there is something in it for them. Give them numbers, stories, facts that will give meat to their story. Invite them to meet students by setting up a group meeting and sending out open invitations to the higher ups in the University or Media. Use yours and your friend's contacts to draw attention. Anger is good if you channelize it to a more positive level - so use the energy to draw positive attention to a highly charged negative issue and do it while the iron is hot. Talk about the constitutional right to take the University to court for disrupting lives of students, causing expensive change of future plans etc. etc.
ReplyDeleteBTW - these are suggestions and only my humble opinion. Do what you FEEL is best. Love you lots and SUPPORT you one hundred percent. We were very fortunate when we were part of Bombay University and you need to get past information to show how much Mumbai University has deteriorated over time where as a Base of Education of the future generation it should be striving to improve.
Thanks for your input guys. I guess I should say that I've already sent the letter so while your suggestions are helpful and I will keep them in mind the next letter I send (and there will be more, I'm thinking! :P) this letter is what I sent to the HT.
ReplyDeleteI guess it's just a tiny step. What I want more than anything is more people from my class to stand up because there's no point otherwise.
So yeah... let's see :)
Cheers Tina :)
ReplyDeleteWhat Basabi says makes a lot of sense. If I do get my official letter from HT (since I did get through their intern test:) maybe I can take this further, at least with respect to finding somebody, interesting them enough and providing them with facts and people they can talk to. You never know without trying :)
ReplyDeleteI think it's really, really good that you've sent the letter. And you're right, we all should bug the guys in the newspapers, the right way round. If we approach the problem differently, that's going to work towards our advantage.
amen! mad respect for actually committing and writing the letter - you're right it is only the first step, but someone needs to take it. do let us know about the reactions. also, i'm so proud you're my sis :) xxx
ReplyDeleteYay :D. This made me happy (i've had a bad few days). I hope something works out. and its a sin to wait that long to write exams. SO sorry.
ReplyDelete