Wednesday, 21 July 2010

Confessions of a (non-)Shopaholic!

1. I'm not a brand person. I usually judge a brand by what I know about their trade policies or labour policies.

2. I like buying local products. I love it when I see a 'Made in India' sign on anything :)

3. I love piles, there's always nice stuff hidden in them but I haven't got the patience to look through them most of the time.

4. When I go shopping, I need to have an agenda or a list. Otherwise, I probably won't buy anything. I'm not much of an impulse buyer - I usually regret it when I buy things on impulse. There was probably a cheaper option, a better option... :/

5. I need to find whatever I'm looking for fairly fast otherwise I'll talk myself out of buying whatever it is and just head home. (Or to a nice eating place. I don't mind spending money on food :P)

6. I don't really like shopping at malls.

7. I hate lingerie shopping. Hate it.

8. I love Bata. Cheap, long-lasting and, recently, pretty awesome styles too!

9. I'm very picky when it comes to buying shoes...

10. Grocery shopping is actually the one-kind of shopping that I really like. But it has to be a big store, with wide aisles where you can push a trolley :P

11. I hate bargaining and I'm not very good at it.

12. Everything always seems overpriced to me.

So you see, I don't have what it takes to be a Shopaholic. I don't get a high from buying stuff but there are times when I'm really happy after I buy something. And these would be times when I have an agenda and I find what I'm looking for pretty fast and at a much lower price than what I was expecting. And that is precisely what happened yesterday! (Well, besides the 'finding it fast' part. I went through about a million stores before I found this one...) I went out to Commercial St. to look for a pair of shoes to wear with my bridesmaid dress and look what I found!

 I wanted to find something to replace my black, hand-me-down sandals that I've been wearing for years now and walked around Commercial Street and tried out a million different shoes until I finally found this shop called Trendz and they had a 50% sale! Black peep-toes in manageable sized heels! The guy at the shop said they were Italian but he was probably lying. Anyway, the shoes had me even before the guy started talking! :P Aren't they lovely? :)

Hey, I put some new shoes on,
And suddenly everything is right,
I said, hey, I put some new shoes on and everybody's smiling,
It's so inviting,
Oh, short on money,
But long on time,
Slowly strolling in the sweet sunshine,
And I'm running late,
And I don't need an excuse,
'cause I'm wearing my brand new shoes.
- 'New Shoes' by Paulo Nutini

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, if we were face to face I would high five you!! I would definitely go grocery shopping over the clothes, shoes, etc. But those shoes you got fit you perfectly. Love them! Reminds me I have to go and get a pair of dress shoes as I don't have any too:/

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW SIMILAR WE ARE IN THIS RESPECT!!! I recently went shopping for England, and although I got great stuff, I was so TIRED, and EXHAUSTED and just...overburdened with consumerist issues at the end of it. I hate MALLS, really unless I have something definite to do there. Everything seems over priced to me. I suck at haggling. I regret impulse buying. I feel guilty when I buy clothes I don't really need. Shopping needs to be quick. Lingerie shopping is NOT easy.


    And these shoes are LOVELY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love 1, 2, and 6!!!

    glad you found some gorgeous shoes painlessly!

    ReplyDelete

Yay, a comment!