Have you ever tried deactivating your Facebook account? They try to guilt-trip you into not doing it like this:

It's not forever though, so it's not quite as courageous a task as I might fool myself into thinking. You can actually go back to it whenever you want. I'm not entirely sure if I want to go back or not but let's see how that goes... I've been thinking about it a lot recently... (In whatever little quiet space there is in my brain.) I would keep coming up with excuses though, like it's an easy and nice way to share (show off) my photos... It's an easy way to keep in touch (stalk)...
But they're excuses at the end of the day and honestly, I don't like the person I become when I am on Facebook. I don't need to know what everybody is doing. I don't need everybody to know what I am doing. I don't need to share my photos. I don't need to have Facebook help me keep in touch with the people that I really care about.
And I also used to feel spread so thin on Facebook. It's just too much. And I wonder why is it so bad to let some people go? I mean, do I really have to be best-friends with my kindergarten "best-friend" for the rest of my life? Maybe it sounds mean, but sometimes I think maybe we try too hard to keep holding on to things, people, times... Maybe if we let go, what remains will be what is really meaningful. What really matters. And people change, they move on and that's okay because we can move on too. It's definitely hard, because it feels like I somehow care less but not necessarily. I still treasure the time spent with that person but it was not meant to last forever. And that's okay!
I remember stumbling upon a quote on a Tumblr blog the other day... It was something about advice to College students. I wish I could remember what exactly it said, or better yet, find it for you... but anyway the gist of it was, "If the person you love is meant to be yours, then it doesn't matter if he/she goes to the moon for five years... it will work out." Okay, that's a really bad rendition of it and it's meant for romantic relationships but I think it applies to every relationship really... And the point is, maybe we don't have to try so hard all the time to make relationships work. Maybe sometimes, you have to just let go. Let the person go his or her private "moon" and if it's meant to last, it will.
**Update**
I found it! (Here.)
**End of update**
I don't know... Just some of the things that I've been thinking about. And for the record, this is completely personal. I don't judge Facebook (and/or any other SNS) users and I don't think that they're bad things at all... I just think it's scary when these things start to have more control over you than you have them. And I felt a little like I was losing control...
I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Is it me or do the people they guilt trip you with all have you in their profile pics?? fb is getting sneaky :P
ReplyDeletePersonally I am all for fb. I've reconnected with a few people from my junior school this past week! Plus it's my sole way of communicating with a few people who don't believe in emails or chat. But I strongly advocate monthly friend-list-purges.
As for the pretty quote...bothers me somehow...relationships take a lot of work. Most things work out in the end but nothing can be taken for granted.
Oh! Do the photos disappear?? I think when you make a photo your profile pic, it actually becomes yours... in your own folder so it doesn't disappear. I hope not, anyway!
ReplyDeleteMonthly friend-list purges is a smart way to do it... :P I actually pretty much stopped adding friends at all recently...
And you're right, and I agree... relationships have to be worked at. But I just sometimes wonder if we need to let go of some, you know? I mean, I suppose it's hard to know which ones you should let go of and which ones you shouldn't give up on... And I believe that there is a right time for everything. And sometimes there's a time to let go...
p.s. and by let go, I don't mean "cut yourself off" necessarily, but maybe stop trying so hard to make it what it's not supposed to be at that given time...
ReplyDeleteWOw Tina Way to GO!
ReplyDeleteI wanted to Deactivate my facebook account too.. I was experiencing the same things that u have described in the post .....Its not good when It gets too much ....too much of information from others and sometimes too much of information is given out to others......
However instead of deactivating my ID I just made a decision to use facebook less much less ... and have been quite sucessful at it!
I prefer Blogger more.
I agree with your Quote too ...
No matter what ...people who are meant to be with us will be and those who arent wont ....its the quality and not the quantity that matters ....
If I had to Judge some one I would actually Judge them on the Hours spent off Facebook rather than on it ...
Yeah your profile pictures are your own...I meant it's sneaky of fb to be like, "look at this dude, he likes you so much you're in his profile pic and now you're just going to ABANDON him? you suck" haha! I think I've made myself as unfindable as I can. In a very selfish sort of way I think I'm already friends with people I like, and I will add more, you don't need to find me thanks very much.
ReplyDeleteIt's impossible to hang on to all your relationships. There's a theory (Dunbar's number? something like that. To the wikipages!) which says there is a limit to the number of people a person can maintain relationships with. I can't say what's meant to be at any particular time so where is the difference between "I should let this go" and "this needs more work"? If that makes sense..? :P possibly overthinking!
Do I even have to say anything? Oh yeah -- I agree with every word you've said, wouldn't want to add or take away anything :)
ReplyDeleteBy the way, they now offer the option of permanently deleting your account. You choose that option, and don't sign in for 14 days. Everything disappears.
I'm doing this too! I believe this post was the final push I needed after feeling for some time that it was a step for me to take. I've let all my "friends" know that in a couple days I'm deleting FB, and asked them to give me their email addresses, if they want to stay in touch the "old fashioned" way!
ReplyDeleteThanks!
Sensible wise decision. Love you.
ReplyDelete