Saturday, 23 April 2011

Animal Speak.

Photography is stressful. It's great fun, especially when you love it but it's a lot of work. It's not as easy as just having a good camera and picking it up and clicking.
The awesome thing about D-SLRs is that you can capture almost every second of a moment, thus increasing your chances of actually getting a good shot but the trouble with that is editing which, in my opinion, is the worst part of photography. You come back home, transfer the pictures onto your laptop and then spend a good part of an hour (or more, depending how generous you were with the clicking!) deciding, selecting and deleting. It's pretty stressful, especially when you're constantly running out of digital space to work within!! That really freaks me out, you know. The mind-bogglingness of information overload. It freaks me out to think about how MUCH information there is in cyberspace and that with every picture, I'm adding to it. It's just scary. I mean, surely it can't be infinite, right? That means that it'll reach a point of explosion some day? Eeks.
And then there's the matter of copyright (how do I protect my images?!) and deciding where I stand on what kind of photos I am willing to take and display (is it okay to photograph people on the streets who obviously don't have a lot simply for artistic purposes?!) and being careful not to exploit people. I started thinking about these things when I went travelling with Niru and her friends from Australia because we, as a team, had to decide carefully and sensitively about these things everywhere we went. And it was amazing, opened my mind to a whole array of debates that I had never given much thought to, but I need to... as uncomfortable as it may be...
Anyway, enough of my rant. Here are some pictures. There are plenty more that I would love to post but I'm just too tired to deal with the "deciding, selecting and deleting" process today so here are just a few.
They were taken at an animal shelter called IPAN run by this amazing couple whose kids study at Hebron. It was very interesting to hear about the work that they do and we even got to sneak peak at an operation!! They had about 40 donkeys, 30 dogs, a sizable number of horses, etc... It was amazing and so awe-inspiring



3 comments:

  1. editing is for the birds!!!

    OH! the dog! LOVE IT!!!!!! What a great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! I'm glad you agree with me!
    Thanks, I love that shot too! A very photogenic dog, that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I replied to your comment on my blog yesterday, but I didn't know if you'd see it, so I'll put it here.

    Can you imagine the pressure (and the perspiration) of the Royal Wedding Photographer!!??

    ReplyDelete

Yay, a comment!