Sunday, 10 July 2011

On being robbed.

My trusty pink, cute, Sony MP3 player got stolen on the train yesterday! :( Awful. Awful. Awful.
I guess I should be grateful that it happened on the latter end of the 32-hours that it took our train to get from the East coast to the West coast of the country! After I had used it down to it's last bar of battery but can I just say that it still sucks. The awful absolutely helpless and powerless feeling that comes with being robbed sucks. The thought that if I hadn't been traveling alone this would likely not have happened, sucks. The thought of doing another 30+ hour train journey back to Bangalore in about a week without the saving grace of an MP3 player sucks.
Sigh. I'm not even sure how or when it happened. The ironic thing is that about the time that it probably did happened, I went to the loo and while I was there, I was thinking how I have no option but to trust my co-passengers and the general (if any) understanding of right and wrong in human beings because I'm traveling alone. I can't take my bag with me to the loo and neither can I not go to the loo at all in 32 hours as much as I try to avoid it! So I have to trust absolute strangers. And then it was gone.
At least it wasn't my camera or my wallet. If it was my camera, I don't know what I would have done! Also, thankfully I managed to save my camera from the condensation issue this time around. Did I write about that before? On arriving in hot and humid Kolkata after 29 hours in an AC coach, I removed my camera from my bag and it had condensation all over it! On the lens, inside the lens, in the battery compartment. I had the fright of my life but I think I did a good job of holding it together and my cousin Roon very confidently told me it would be okay and I believed him because I had to. There was nothing else I could do at that moment in time. Anyway, it was okay, eventually but still, freaky!
Anyway, I'm hoping I won't have too many more not-so-pleasant adventures on this journey! On the upside - I am in Mumbai!! Staying at Jo's place which is wonderful because Jo is wonderful and her folks are wonderful! We made a 'Bombay Bucket List' last night and will get working on it today! :)

1 comment:

Yay, a comment!