It's our last day in Ooty and I feel kinda bluesy about it and yet also excited to head back and throw myself into editing, packaging, website designing, accounting, marketing and you know all those other little things that tend to pile up.
Jenny and I came up here mainly to help out at the SISTERS conference and then I tried to show Jenny around town a little bit but the weather hasn't been very cooperative so there wasn't a whole lot we could do in terms of sight-seeing. It was nice to enjoy the cool weather and quiet disposition of this sleepy little town though. I, as usual, had to go around and visit a whole lot of people but I did try to keep it on the minimum and had a fair amount of time to just relax.
We learnt about fetal development and the amazing, miraculous process of it. And we also learnt the harsh realities about abortion. I remember learning about it in college - it was a part of our Psychology course but it still hit hard. We had an actual obstetrician tell us about the different methods and actually showed us the tools used. She used to carry out abortions for many years until she came to a turning point and is now a defender for the unborn.
Jenny and I visited the Bee Museum and the Green Shop yesterday which is always nice. I really do love that place. It's so tastefully done up and their products are amazing! Best of all, it's all fair trade and environmentally friendly. While we were there we also watched a fascinating documentary about a tribal group called the Kurumbas whose traditional occupation is to collect honey.
Today we did some essential shopping. And by 'essential' I mainly mean delicious home-made chocolates! And then had a nice drawn out lunch with Diana at one of the best restaurants in town - King's Cliff.
I really should try to get back into the habit of taking more pictures. Ironic, I know, considering that's what I do for a living. But I find that since I have taken up photography professionally now, I tend to take fewer pictures of things going on in my life otherwise!
Anyway, that's all for now!
Happy Tuesday!
Jenny and I came up here mainly to help out at the SISTERS conference and then I tried to show Jenny around town a little bit but the weather hasn't been very cooperative so there wasn't a whole lot we could do in terms of sight-seeing. It was nice to enjoy the cool weather and quiet disposition of this sleepy little town though. I, as usual, had to go around and visit a whole lot of people but I did try to keep it on the minimum and had a fair amount of time to just relax.
So glad that Jenny could come up with
me! Having company on that treacherous bus journey from Bangalore is always appreciated.
Something or the other invariably seems to go wrong when I am doing that
journey. Last time the bus stopped for about two hours in the middle of the
forest because vehicles are not allowed through the Bandipur animal reserve
area at night-time. Fine. Okay. I understand (kind of). But couldn’t they
freaking tell you that beforehand so at least you can prepare
for the inevitable!?
This time while our bus was driving up the ghat-section, a
lorry that was coming down in the opposite direction had a flat tyre and so
there was a pile-up of traffic trying to navigate its way around the truck on
that narrow, winding road. It was pretty scary as our bus hovered very close to
the cliff-edge. These bus drivers need to get a prize for being able to do
that… on a regular basis. So yeah, it was nice to not be alone!
The conference was a success too. I think it’s the best one
we’ve had so far. It’s our third year running the conference so I guess we’re
figuring out ways to fine-tune it and make it better. Every year we pick a
social justice issue to raise awareness about and discuss with the girls. This
year the issue was sex-selective abortions which is unfortunately a huge issue
in India. Many families in India tend to favour the boy-child and often females
are aborted or killed right after birth.
We learnt about fetal development and the amazing, miraculous process of it. And we also learnt the harsh realities about abortion. I remember learning about it in college - it was a part of our Psychology course but it still hit hard. We had an actual obstetrician tell us about the different methods and actually showed us the tools used. She used to carry out abortions for many years until she came to a turning point and is now a defender for the unborn.
Jenny and I visited the Bee Museum and the Green Shop yesterday which is always nice. I really do love that place. It's so tastefully done up and their products are amazing! Best of all, it's all fair trade and environmentally friendly. While we were there we also watched a fascinating documentary about a tribal group called the Kurumbas whose traditional occupation is to collect honey.
![]() |
| Jenny looking at the displays at the museum. |
![]() |
| A sorry attempt at a self-portrait. Wish the mirror wasn't so scratchy :( |
I really should try to get back into the habit of taking more pictures. Ironic, I know, considering that's what I do for a living. But I find that since I have taken up photography professionally now, I tend to take fewer pictures of things going on in my life otherwise!
Anyway, that's all for now!
Happy Tuesday!




No comments:
Post a Comment
Yay, a comment!