I've been doing a lot of translating lately... Mainly from spoken Hindi to English which is easy enough if I really concentrate... But then today I got handed some English to Hindi and it's insane how much harder that is! I mean, forget trying to write it in Devanagiri script. I agreed to try and translate to spoken Hindi (which I did with a lot of help on the phone from Jo in Bombay!) and write it down phonetically and the funny thing is that we agreed that Rod (who is American and is just learning Hindi) would then try to write it in Devanagiri script (because I've never actually learnt it properly. How I wish I did though!). Anyway, the short of the long of it is that I've been doing a lot of translating but I'm not complaining at all cause it means that I've been able to be involved in the making of a documentary film called 'Horse and Rider' for Freedom Firm. You can read more about it from Ben Stamper himself on the
Freedom Firm website.
They've had almost a full week of shooting up here in Ooty and I've had the privilege to get a sneak peek into some of the amazing footage and also just spend time with Ben talking about photography and other cool things. And since Ben's been staying with Rod and Diana, we've got to spend a whole lot of time with them too which is of course always GREAT! Jen and I actually stayed over at their house for the last two days because I had to do some translation and it would get too late after we were done to walk back home. It was great fun! After finishing all our work last night, we YouTube-d some of our favourite stand-up comedians and had a good laugh before all collapsing into bed out of exhaustion.
It's so funny how things work out. I did not plan any of this. I could not have even begun to imagine any of this for myself. I mean, really? Me? Translating for a film? I'm not even that good! But I am better now than I would have been a couple of years thanks to friends and living in Mumbai where I actually had the chance to
use my Hindi that I only know because I watched a lot of Hindi films with my parents in Zambia when I was a kid. That's how I learnt Hindi. Isn't that a little bit crazy?
I know what I love doing. I know where my skills lie and I know where I would like to use them but I don't know how to make any of it happen and I've never known and thanks be to God that that's perfectly OK. Somehow I've picked up the right skills to be useful. Somehow I'm in the right place at the right time. Somehow I always have enough to live on and I am provided for. Somehow I have all I need.
It's a miracle, really. Everyday is a miracle and I am grateful for it.
 |
| Jen! Precious friend and roomie. Another proof of how God provides! |
 |
How he manages to ride and film at the same time?
I don't know. |
 |
| "C'mon Lily, amuse us!" |
 |
| Yours truly riding Shadow back up to the house :) |
Because God is creative like that, amazing! So happy to see you have this opportunity and to step into new things. Can't wait to hear more! Hugs from Bangkok
ReplyDelete